Thursday 28 March 2013

Jewish Comfort Food in Covent Garden


Mishkin's is a great little Jewish deli, come restaurant, come bar in Covent garden. Named after an old Jewish restaurant and restauranteur on Catherine street, Ezra Mishkin opened up her business in 1931. In 201 the same people behind Spuntino and Polpo, Russell Norman and Richard Beatty have resurrected E.Mishkin in the likeness of Katz deli in NYC. These restauranteurs have a proven formula that applies to all their establishments; small plates served up by good looking staff in a bare brick, hip, west end setting. I have to admit it works I love all their restaurants, the staff are attractive and attentive, the food is cooked to a great standard.

However when I first came to Mishkin's I was a little unimpressed compared it's sister restaurants. As a Jewish establishment there are some traditional offerings, some of which are well known to the general population like mac n cheese or salt beef. Both done wonderfully here and I would definitely reccomend. However I was quite adventurous and went for corn dogs and chopped lived with smaltchzed radish. Now I have never had corn dogs before and I have to say I wasn't greatly impressed. Essentially they are deep fried frankfurters, but this being a Jewish deli they are deep fried beef dogs. The chicken liver wasn't my cup of tea either I'm afraid.

However I went back for a friend's birthday party and on my second visit I played it safe and had the Mac n cheese, the cod cheek popcorn, both were amazing. Third visit, I sampled the salt beef sandwich which was also pretty special and of door stopper size! The cocktails are also fab, the gin sour is my personal fav, but the diamond fizz and the cucumber martini also pack a punch. This place has become one of my favorite restaurants for comfort food. The chicken matzo ball soup warms the cockles and the mac n cheese will fill you to the brim. They have a fab lunch and theatre menu 2 course for £12.50.  Go for traditional Jewish cooking, choose carefully from the food menu,
but the cocktail menu is all good!




No comments:

Post a Comment