Tuesday 9 April 2013

Slammin Street Food!

Today I thought I would put you on the trail of two of my favourite street food vendors. Easter weekend there was a street food festival on south bank. As you would expect I was was there ready to fill up on the best. I've found when you go to these type of things it pays to look at all the stalls before making a definitive choice. In this case I went with two tried and tested vendors, "The Pizza Pilgrims" and "Bell and Brisket."

I started off with arguably the best salt beef in town. Bell and brisket was started up in 2010 by Bel Shapiro, she not only makes traditional salt beef, but also the pickles that add the tang and texture. There are a number of different types all with various pickles, with cheese or without, but The Lord Rupert is my personal favourite. You can also choose whether you have it on rye bread or in a bagel both delicious and traditional sandwiching material. The pimped out horse box they use to flog these exceptional sandwiches, can be found in various place around the capital. On Fridays they hang out with Kerb either at Kings Cross or at the Gherkin. While on Sundays they have a fixed position at Haringay market. Or if you want you could even hire them for your own party!














For my second course I went for pizza from the Pizza Pilgrim boys. These guys have had great success with a book out in May coinciding with the opening of a permanent residence in Soho. But what's so great about pizza!? I hear you cry. Well this isn't just any old crappy dominoes or pizza express. These guys make a great fresh pizza base, but what sets the pilgrims apart is the serious flavour they add on top! Try the "N'Duja" spicy pork! The owners Thom and James Elliot really did go on a pilgrimage to Napoli, gathering all the traditional techniques and flavours to allow their pizzas to stand out! Great ingredients and experience made in minutes out of their converted Piaggio Ape van/oven. The boys can be found most days at Berwick street market in Soho well worth a pilgrimage of your own!











No comments:

Post a Comment